Monday, January 9, 2012

Maybe it was the Sunkist I drank before going to bed . . .


Laurence is having the best day of his life. His wife prepared his favorite breakfast, his kids brought him Father’s Day cards and he got a raise at work. As he brushes his teeth and prepares for bed, his toothbrush disappears, his hand disappears, and the sink disappears; bit by bit everything around him disappears until all he sees is a monster. 

Laurence: Aaaah! 
Bob: Sssshhh. Please quiet down. You don’t want to wake the others. 

Laurence looks out on a field of people just like him. 

Laurence: Where am I? 
Bob: Where you’ve always been. 
Laurence: Are you monsters? 
Bob: Monsters? Ha ha ha. Are we monsters, Charlie?
Charlie: I do believe we are, Bob. 
Bob: It’s fascinating how you ask the same questions every time.
Laurence: Every time? Wait! Where are my arms? My legs! What are you doing to me? 
Bob: What are we doing to you? Why, we’re eating you of course. We are monsters. 
Charlie: You taste delicious by the way. 
Bob: I’ll bet that’s not something you knew about yourself. Now what day would you like to live next? I’ll let you choose. 

2 comments:

  1. wow, Jon this story is quite extraordinary... I really love it! The way the characters converse and the images it creates in my head, its quite fantastic.

    I really enjoy the way you write, it takes me aways somewhere else. also kinda reminds me of neil gaiman a bit too but with a new and different twist.

    thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Margaret! Thank you so much! :) I'm glad you like it. Neil Gaiman's one of my favorite authors! I read his 'Good Omens' book and really enjoyed it. I was a bit unsure of this story myself but after reading your comment I think I'll post the story on my Facebook page :) Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete